Store your Jewellery for long without Any HassleFebruary 23, 2021
Fashion or imitation jewellery is not made of precious metals like gold, platinum, silver, etc. Normally it would not contain precious stones like diamond, ruby, emerald, sapphire, etc. However, it might contain semi-precious stones like agate, amethyst, aquamarine, chalcedony, chrysocolla, hematite, jasper, jet, lapis lazuli, malachite, moonstone, onyx, period, rhodonite, sunstone, turquoise, etc. or certain imitations of such stones having similar colour but not the kind of required finish.
Fashion jewellery is more prone to wear and tear compared to precious jewellery. Hence, it becomes more and more critical to take care of this jewellery especially if you want to wear them for years to come.
How to keep fashion jewellery so it lasts long
- First things first. If you can store your jewellery in a proper way, it would help to reduce the amount of cleaning and maintenance the jewellery would require. There are many and certain tips to keep your jewellery clean and keep it brand new for longer.
- Wipe your jewellery with a clean microfiber cloth after each use, this way you would not need to clean it often. All dirt, water or any effect of air pollution that might have impacted and accumulated on the jewellery would be wiped off, thus making it look like new for a longer period.
- Store your jewellery properly. You might try storing the jewellery in zip-lock bags. Designate one piece per bag. With no air, the metal cannot oxidize or turn green from exposure to the air. Jewellery boxes with a closing lid limit your jewellery’s exposed to air and this important among many tips for buying women jewellery and storing them. The plastic pouch keeps it from being scratching against any other hard surfaces.
- Spray perfume applies cosmetics before putting on your jewellery. Anything water/oil-based can potentially tarnish your jewellery piece. Perfume and lotions can tarnish the finish of the pieces. Spraying perfume and putting on the lotions first, will coat the jewellery and might lead to tarnishing.
- Refrain from wearing your jewellery in the bath or shower, or when you work out because water and perspiration are corrosive in nature. You should wait until your body is dry, only then wear the jewellery piece. This would help prevent some of the corrosion of fashion jewellery that makes it look dull. This would ensure that the requirement of frequent cleaning is also reduced.
Identify the kinds of jewellery
In order to start the maintenance of jewellery you should first identify the material of the jewellery piece and then choose the relevant method of cleaning. This is like washing your coloured and white clothes separately.
All pieces of similar jewellery should be clubbed together. Polish or plating of one piece of jewellery might affect the plating of the other piece.
Stone jewellery should be segregated on earpieces like silver Ear cuffs and wraps as sometimes the stones are stuck on the jewellery with adhesive. Usually women nose rings don’t have any stones and are easy to clean. When cleaning you need to be sure of the amount of liquid being used. The liquid might loosen the stone and make it fall out. Also, using water could tarnish the backside of Kundan and enamel pieces.