5 Ways to Help the Environment Through Your HVAC SystemAugust 17, 2022
When you add up the cyclical cost of replacement air filters, air conditioning service and the energy bills, you may be surprised at how much money you’re actually spending without these regular maintenance checks! If your system is in need of service and is not adequately maintained, the life expectancy will decrease. HVAC preventive care from a licensed HVAC company can extend the actual lifespan of your heating and cooling system by years.
Here are ways preventive maintenance benefits your bottom line:
- Save Money: Prevent costly breakdowns: Preventive maintenance helps protect against costly breakdowns by as much as 95%. Chances are you wouldn’t drive your car for 30,000 miles without getting an oil change; you’d be asking for trouble. This analogy holds true for your heating and cooling system.Reduce energy bills: Regular HVAC maintenance can reduce energy bills by 10% to 20%, according to Energy Star estimates. That’s not chump change! It can also lower utility costs by extending the life of your system and keeping it running efficiently so that it uses less power than its newer counterparts would require to perform the same tasks.
- Extend system life: Regular HVAC Repair NYC extends the life of your system, reducing the likelihood that you’ll need to spend big bucks on an HVAC installation soon. It’s kind of like how annual checkups can help us humans live longer, except your HVAC doctor makes house calls.
- Stay covered under warranty: It’s crucial to be aware that most HVAC manufacturers require proof of annual maintenance when a repair claim is submitted under warranty. Some of the components that make your HVAC system work are too expensive, so investing in annual maintenance to keep them covered under your warranty can save you a significant sum if a thing goes wrong.
- Keep Your Home Safer: Keeping your HVAC system regularly maintained is a great way to keep your home and family safer.You’ve probably heard the horror stories: Someone you know went away during the holidays and returned to find their house frozen, severely damaged, and with burst pipes and water damage. If you’re far away from home and your heat stops working during a cold snap or one of those polar vortexes we’ve been talking about lately, the result can be a domino effect of frozen or burst pipes, water damage and worse. The cost of repairs in this situation can be incredibly steep. Preventive HVAC Repair NYC also helps safeguard you and your family against the risk of carbon monoxide – the colorless, odorless gas whose effects can be deadly. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), exposure to even low levels of carbon monoxide can cause serious health issues.
- Help the environment: When it comes to keeping your home comfortable and energy efficient, a well-maintained HVAC system is key. A well-maintained system will help you keep your house at the right temperature while also reducing your energy bill and helping the environment. For those worried about their green footprint, keep in mind that a well-maintained HVAC system consumes considerably less fuel – and that’s good for the planet. Such homeowners will also want to be aware of what sort of refrigerant is used in their system since the EPA has been working to phase out substances that harm the environment. HVAC technicians handling controlled refrigerant are needed to have EPA Section 608 Certification and can help you understand what kind of refrigerant you’re using, its impact on the environment, and your alternatives.
Your HVAC contractor can also talk to you about the benefits of using a programmable thermostat or switching from oil heat to natural gas so you can follow steps to reduce your system’s impact on the environment.